Download the conference registration form if you plan to make an offline payment. Please send the completed form to the AAWD National Office address located on the form.
Download the conference registration form if you plan to make an offline payment. Please send the completed form to the AAWD National Office address located on the form.
Tickets are available for members and non-members, with the option to bring a guest or a child. Click the button to register online!
Reservations By Phone – 877-800-4888
$225 Single / Double until September 4, 2019
Jaqueline Russo, DDS, RN Dr. Russo is a co-founder of Wellness Works Group, a consultancy firm dedicated to helping physicians and patients stay abreast of the latest developments in healthy aging. Her goal is to empower clients with results driven programs and improve their health-consciousness for a more nourishing life experience. Dr. Russo obtained her undergraduate degree in nursing at Indiana University, where she quickly realized her passion was in prevention of disease, not merely treating the body once it was broken. She graduated Baylor Collage of Dentistry in 1985 and began studying the relationship between oral health and overall health and the interdependence of one upon the other. As a founding board member for the American Academy of Oral Systemic Health, her mission is to educate the public and well as health care professionals regarding the role oral health plays in our overall wellness. As a speaker, both locally and nationally, and an author and key opinion leader in her field, Dr. Russo teaches cutting edge strategies for improving oral health that promote total body health and longevity using functional medicine methods. Dr. Russo completed the Institute of Functional Medicine certification in RECODE therapy—reversing cognitive decline using patented strategies developed by Dr. Dale Bredesen. Dr. Russo is also a founder of Enviromed Design Group, an international dental and medical office design company. Her area of expertise is in practice management and profitability, and she has evaluated over hundreds of technologies, products and systems for dentists who want to increase productivity and profitability in the dental office. Her goal is to empower dentists to achieve their dream of financial freedom, as well as physical and spiritual abundance, while improving the lives of their patients in a state-of-the-art dental facility. Currently, Dr. Russo partners with health care professionals committed to improving the lives of their friends, family and patients. She employs a multitude of technologies, strategies and programs to aid in early detection of risk factors for disease and offers solutions that will decrease or eliminate these risk factors before disease ensues. Living life with optimal health is her life’s passion and she enthusiastically lives life in pursuit of not only a long lifespan, but a long and productive health span.
Our healthcare system is a badly broken system that is threatening our economy, as well as our lives. Unfortunately, most healthcare providers prefer to bury their heads in the sand and hope they can survive until they retire. Through the systematic implementation of functional medicine principles linking oral health conditions with total body heath, a very influential sector of our society, women dentists, can rescue the great American way while putting “health” back in healthcare.
The objectives of this session are to:
- Identify the pathways through which the mouth can be a potential source of pathology affecting other organs and systems.
- Understand the relationship of inflammation in the development of chronic disease.
- Recognize the important role of women dentists in determining the health of future generations.
- Describe the five most important behaviors for a long health span.
- Recommend total health strategies to implement into a clinical practice.
- Encourage collaboration with local medical providers to optimize treatment outcomes and total body wellness.
Leslie R. Halpern, MD, DDS, PHD, MPH, FACS Dr. Halpern received her PhD in Neuroendocrinology (City University of New York), a DDS (NYU College of Dentistry), and completed a six-year Oral Maxillofacial Surgery Program with an MD degree from New York Medical College. She has done several fellowships in basic and applied research and obtained an MPH from the Harvard School of Public Health. Dr. Halpern is a Diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. She has received several grants from the RWJF Center of Health Policy and the Harvard University Center of Excellence in Women’s Health, which focus on the identification of victims of intimate partner violence using salivary biomarkers as risk predictors in the prognosis of health disparities in female victims exposed to violence and abuse. She currently serves as Professor and Section Head of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the SOD and is co-director of the Office of Women in Health, Science and Medicine (WiHMS) at the University of Utah Medical Campus.
This session will cover medicine-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: its etiology and treatment options by the oral healthcare provider.
The goals/objectives for this course are to:
- Understand the disease pathogenesis of medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaw (MRONJ).
- Assess patients that present to your practice with a history of medications that will make them susceptible to MRONJ.
- Review current evidence regarding dental treatment options for patients who are susceptible to MRONJ.
- Review current evidence regarding surgical treatment options for patients who have MRONJ.
- Review the array of drugs that predispose patients to the risk of MRONJ and associated pathologic conditions.
- Discuss the most recent evidence-based guidelines that can be applied in the oral healthcare setting to minimize and/or avoid the risk of MRONJ in patients who suffer from cancer and osteoporotic diseases.
Diana Batoon, DMD Dr. Batoon has combined her dental passion and expertise to become an industry leader and international speaker. She promotes the importance of dental roles and success through collaboration. Dr. Batoon’s insights generate momentum for change through practical action steps attained from over 20 years in the dental field. Dr. Batoon challenges the way dentistry is done; invites you to question popular misconceptions; engages audiences and promotes participation; is open in discussing failures with no “fluff”; and brings energy and active listening, while remaining fully approachable
Sleep Apnea, or Sleep Related Disordered Breathing, in Adults and Children is ever present in our dental practices today. As members of the dental community, we are in the best position to screen and evaluate for a condition that causes several total health issues. If left untreated, patients in the dental setting grow into a bigger dilemma that has health risks. Learn how to be at the forefront of a growing problem that affects people we may treat or know in our lives. Learn how to create or implement dental sleep medicine in your practice and how to empower your team members to carry out the process.
The goals/objectives for this course are to:
- Understand sleep disordered breathing and screening process by the dentist.
- Learn how to collaborate with different medical disciplines to provide treatment for sleep-related disordered breathing.
- Understand the workflow, billing process, and follow-up for patients with sleep apnea.
- Learn the different types of treatments and appliances for adults and children.
Britany Matin, DMD, MS Originally from Alabama, Dr. Matin was graduated from the University of Alabama at Birmingham in 2008, with a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry. During that time, she worked as a dental assistant at a local periodontist’s office and fell in love with dentistry and periodontal surgery. She followed her passion and received dental training from the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Dentistry, where she graduated in 2012 with a Doctor of Dental Medicine degree. Following dental school, Dr. Matin received dual training in the field of Periodontics in Birmingham, Alabama. She received two post graduate certificates in Periodontology, one from the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Dentistry Department of Periodontology and one from the Birmingham Veterans Affairs Hospital, and completed her training in 2015. During that time, she also obtained a Master’s in Dentistry, which focused on the torque values of implants during dental implant placement. In 2015 Dr. Matin opened her own practice, Auburn Periodontics and Implant Dentistry, PC. Her vision is to provide the best dental care for patients, while making them feel comfortable during the process. She is passionate about advancing dentistry and working with the latest technology. Dr. Matin also serves as an Assistant Professor at the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Dentistry Department of Periodontology, where she helps educate dental students and residents in the post-graduate periodontal surgical clinic. Dr. Matin enjoys reading, photography, fishing, and being outdoors with her two sweet dogs. A new mother, she also enjoys spending time with her husband, who happens to be a Periodontist/Prosthodontist. Dr. Matin is passionate ab
In order to provide an esthetic final restoration, especially in the anterior area, a transitional restoration is necessary to guide the tissue. The development of healthy peri-implant tissue is important for both the biologic and the esthetic aspect of dental implant restorations. This course is intended for dentists who are interested in learning how to manage peri-implant soft tissue during the healing phase and outlines the implant provisionalization process.
During this session the attendee will:
- Understand the concept of peri-implant emergency profile and soft tissue management.
- Evaluate the methods of implant temporization for a screw retained or cement retained temporary restoration.
- Fabricate and contour an implant provisional.
- Capture and translate the peri-implant soft tissue information to the laboratory for final restoration fabrication.
Elizabeth Burns, DDS Dr. Burns graduated from the University of Missouri-Kansas City and has been in private practice for 29 years. She is a Registered Yoga Instructor, having studied at the Chopra Center, and a Certified Life Coach, through the International Coaching Federation. Dr. Burns has lectured on yoga, meditation, and stress reduction.
This course will discuss yoga, as well as other lifestyle practices, to bring a sense of calm and focus into our lives. You will learn that yoga is for everyone. When practiced, it can help provide relief from physical discomfort due to ergonomic challenges common in our profession. We know that dentistry is very physically and mentally challenging. We will discuss strategies that will help lower stress and improve your overall sense of well-being. You will have the opportunity to participate in a yoga class designed for those of us who work in dentistry — whether you are someone trying yoga for the first time or the experienced practitioner. At the end of class, you will notice the benefits are immediate. Past participants have left feeling refreshed, calm and smiling!
The objectives for this course are to:
- Learn what yoga is (and is not) as well as how to apply the principles of yoga to your work and life to help achieve balance and connectedness.
- Learn yoga postures that can help ease musculoskeletal pain common in dental professionals.
- Learn stress management techniques to help with the challenges we experience in dentistry.
- Participate in a yoga session designed specifically for the dental team.
Emily Letran, DDS, MS Dr. Letran is a serial entrepreneur, CEO of multiple dental practices, and private coach to many professionals. As an international speaker, she has been on TEDx and shared stages with countless business leaders, including Sharon Lechter (co-author of Rich Dad Poor Dad), Dan Clark (Hall of Fame Speaker), Dr. Howard Farran (Dentaltown), and Linda Miles (the “ultimate mentor of dentistry”). She has been featured in Dentaltown, Global Woman, and See Beyond magazines. She is a contributing writer for DentistryIQ and Dentistry Today. Dr Letran is the Founder of Exceptional Leverage Inc., ACTION To WIN seminars, and the author of several books.
This course will outline specific high performance strategies to control stress and easyto-implement marketing system so you can succeed in the economy you create for your office. Attendees will have a plan of action to immediately implement and get their team engaged, taking their practice to the next level.
By the end of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Evaluate and understand the different sources of stress, how to prioritize, and how to control stress in their lives.
- Create their own plan of action to leverage tools and strategies to maximize their productivity and potential in the practice.
Lisa Knowles, DDS Dr. Knowles is a visionary thinker and looks at the whole picture, as well as the whole patient. She speaks and thinks broadly about dentistry beyond 32 teeth and works to help others further understand oral and systemic connections, leadership development, and stress management. She writes for several dental trade journals and websites, including Dental Economics, Dr. Bicuspid.com, Dental Products Report, and for her own blog at Beyond32Teeth.com. Dr. Knowles speaks around the country about eco-friendly dentistry, communication enhancement, and business development. She graduated from Alma College with a major in communication and a minor in biochemistry. She graduated from the University of Michigan School of Dentistry in 1998 and currently practices in East Lansing, Michigan. She is a trustee for the Michigan Dental Association.
Dr. Knowles shares her 20-year dental journey to help others relate to the difficulties that arise with career challenges. She especially focuses on learning how to cope with demanding life experiences when opening a dental office, becoming a mom, caregiving for a dying parent, saving a marriage, changing a career pathway and developing a futuristic practice model. Dr. Knowles speaks nationally on topics that ease the stress of being a general practitioner, from clinical relevance to personal health and well-being. She adds in a funky musical beat to keep it light and energizing!
By the end of this course, participants should be able to:
- Relate to and resolve personal life matters that affect our professional lives.
- Understand how our energy is affected by those around us and find ways to diffuse difficult emotions.
- Learn ways to recognize physical signs that indicate our overall health and wellness.
- Share insights and absorb advice for a lifetime of dental success.
Natalyn O. Lewis, BS Natalyn Lewis is a wife and mother of four beautiful children. An All-American collegiate athlete and high school soccer coach, Natalyn has learned the importance of teamwork and strategy to reach your highest levels of success, leading her team to seven region titles and four state titles in eleven years. Natalyn has translated her drive and passion on the field into the business world where she became a published author and has worked with start-ups to billion-dollar international enterprises to help them create success strategies.
After 20 years of working with over 30 companies around the globe, Natalyn Lewis is continuing to pursue her passion of making sure every business, small or large, has the greatest opportunity to succeed. Natalyn came to Legally Mine after seeing the value that is offered to businesses, which she feels is essential to their success. Making money is of little value if you don’t get to keep it. Two of the largest drains on the money you earn is lawsuits (and the attending legal fees) and taxes. This presentation will teach you how to eliminate any losses from lawsuits and the accompanying legal fees. It will also teach you how to reduce the cost of your income tax through innovative approaches very few people are even aware exist. The most important asset you own is your medical license, as it is the key to your earning power. We will show you how to keep your name and license off of the NPDB and protect your earning power, now and into the future.
In this session, you will:
- Learn the motivation behind lawsuits. Why lawyers decide whether to sue someone or not. These concepts are designed to deter a legal opponent from pursuing you.
- Learn the best business structure for income tax reduction.
- Learn how to protect your medical license by using the National Practitioners Data Bank’s Corporate Shield.
Jill Baskin, DDS Dr. Baskin graduated from the University of Illinois Dental School. She completed a General Practice Residency at the University of Illinois Hospital. Dr. Baskin practiced general dentistry in a private practice in a Chicago suburb. For 15 years, Dr. Baskin was the Dental Director for a nonprofit pediatric clinic in her community. She received the Healthy Heroes Award, an honor bestowed on only 12 dentists in Illinois. Since July 1996, Dr. Baskin has been reviewing dental professional liability claims; she has been presenting risk management seminars since October of 1989.
Every practice strives to provide dental care for patients in an effective manner with the highest quality outcome. In order to achieve that, risk management associated with all treatment must be addressed concurrently using the latest principles and techniques available. When the proper protocols and policies are employed, patients can be treated safely and efficiently in a controlled, risk-lowered environment. This seminar will provide the latest claim information statistics to help mitigate risk and real life experiences of your colleagues who have encountered risk exposures.
The following risk management fundamentals will be addressed in this seminar:
- Management of patient communications by choosing words wisely, listening intently, earning trust and respect, and creating the happy and loyal patient. > Implementing office protocols so the entire team utilizes the same risk and safety policies.
- Providing all clinical treatment that meets or exceeds the accepted standard of care in your locality.
- Understanding the basic principles of acceptable chart and record documentation and the responsibilities of protecting patient health information.
- Effective patient management regarding non-clinical issues and adverse events.
- Fundamentals of legal concepts, including general informed consent, vicarious liability and negligence.
Amisha Singh, DDS Dr. Singh is a Denver native and loves living in beautiful Colorado. She practices in Parker, Colorado, and owns Smile Always Dental. She is an active member of the ADA, CDA and MDDS. She serves on the CDA House of Delegates, on the ADA Dental Wellbeing Advisory Committee, and on the MDDS and CDA Membership Councils. She is the CDA New Dentist Committee Chair Elect for Colorado. She is also a blogger and professional speaker, who works with lgniteDDS to inspire other dental professionals and provide them resources to be the best clinicians possible. She writes for numerous publications, serves on the junior editorial board for Dental Entrepreneur Woman magazine, the Dental Economics Editorial Advisory Board, and as co-editor of the MDDS Articulator. She is the AVID Healthcare Liaison for Denver Public Schools and teaches a success series integrated into the curriculum of underprivileged middle school youth to aspire them to careers in healthcare. She is also a workforce diversity consultant for the Colorado Department of Public Health and works to help recruit underrepresented minorities to the professions of dentistry and medicine. She also serves as an ADA Success Speaker, participates in the ADA Institute of Diversity in Leadership and is the founder of the CDA Diversity in Leadership program. In 2018 she was recognized as one of ADA’s 10 Under 10 dentists nationally. She also believes in innovation and serves her profession as a DMG Young Key Opinion Leader. Her passion is encouraging entrepreneurial spirit and inspiring others, and she wants to dedicate her life to helping make dentists and patients alike be better, healthier, more empowered people. When not practicing dentistry, she loves to get lost in a good book, cook, and do all things creative.
Learning how to cope with stress, maintaining a growth focused, result oriented atmosphere, bringing positivity to work and taking positivity home. During this course, we will discuss what the greats have done to master their craft of leading an empowered team. You will learn the path to honing your leadership skills to be a happier, healthier and more effective leader.
During this session, students will learn:
- What are the most common psychological barriers to achieving the success you seek in your career and life?
- What are the psychological prices high achievers pay when they fail to achieve a work-life balance?
- What are some recommended methods to achieving your leadership and business goals without sacrificing your balance?
- How can you learn from previous business legends in creating optimal success while still flourishing and creating fulfillment?
Amy Kinnamon, RDH, MS Amy is the Professional and Scientific Relations for North America with Procter and Gamble; an international speaker; a contributor to AGD Impact; and a consultant with 23 years of experience in the dental industry. Amy is a Past President of the ODHA, a Board member of the Jackson County Homelessness Committee and a Director of the Free Health Clinic. She is an active member of the Shawnee State University Alumni Board and member of the Dimensions Corporate Council. She is a 2014 recipient of the Crest/Oral B Pros in the Profession Award, the 2015 Sunstar/RDH Award of Distinction, and the 2016 Young Dental Caring Clinician Award.
(This presentation constitutes sessions 3 and 4 of a 10-session webinar course offered by Procter & Gamble for leadership certification.) Women have certain innate strengths that make them highly effective in their approach to healthcare. Women in leadership roles tend to come from a more interactive, cooperative mindset that creates a stronger spirit of teamwork. Strengths such as but not limited to creativity, communication, and collaboration contribute to the ability to engage highly effective team cultures, as well as patient experiences. Women in leadership roles sometimes tend to conform to the male leadership model, sacrificing their own strengths and personal power. Identifying unique strengths and understanding what women bring to the table as leaders will be the focus of this course.
- Compare and contrast the leadership model perceptions related to gender bias.
- Apply concepts of leading from strengths and a growth mindset.
- Define the “pitfalls” to avoid as a woman in leadership and explore coping mechanisms.
- Discuss embracing leadership and empowerment with intention, confidence, and authenticity.
- Develop a structure collaborative action plan to elevate your practice.
|First Year Post-Graduate||$350.00|
|Non-Member Dental Student||$249.00|
The American Association of Women Dentists is designated as an Approved PAC Program Provider by the Academy of General Dentistry. The formal continuing education programs of this program provider are accepted by AGD for Fellowship, Mastership and membership maintenance credit. Approval does not imply acceptance by a state or provincial board of dentistry or the AGD endorsement. The current term of approval extends from January 1, 2019, to December 31, 2020, Provider ID #218170.