Keep watching this list for our newest chapters in formation. If you have any questions or wish to start a chapter in your area, call AAWD Headquarters at (800) 920-2293.
If no local AAWD chapter exists at your school and you would like to help start one, follow these instructions to help get an active chapter up and running.
- Begin by assessing the level of interest of the students at your school. This can be done via informal survey, phone calls or e-mails.
- Create an organizing committee. This committee will be responsible for:
- Drafting a constitution (HQ has a draft you can use)
- Initiating a membership drive (HQ can help*)
- Arrange for a first general membership meeting
- At your first general membership meeting, you should:
- Elect the inaugural Board of Directors
- Vote on the bylaws
- Set up committees
- Determine time, time and place or regular membership meetings.
- Determine amount of Chapter dues (Note: Student dues are $55/year for national dues + cost of chapter dues. 1st year student have the option to join for 4 years at $180 – $10 is rebated back to the chapter.) All chapter members must join AAWD nationally.
- Your Treasurer should establish a checking account for the chapter. The account should be set up in the name of the chapter. (See legal guidelines.)
- Collect membership applications and send them in to the HQ office and keep your officers list updated on a yearly basis.
If you have any further questions, e-mail Dr. Jodi Wing Lee, Director of Student Chapter Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org *With the help of AAWD Headquarters, the Student chapter should plan a kick-off event or membership drive. It can be a lunch and learn, breakfast meeting, whatever works best for the student population. AAWD HQ will help in securing a sponsor for the event, and arrange for a member of the National Board to be there to give an overview of the benefits of membership in AAWD. Download These Instructions (pdf)
Contact AAWD Headquarters and request a Chapter Handbook email@example.com Your Chapter Handbook will contain useful information to get your chapter started. Including . . .
- Start up “Forms”
- Membership Applications/List of Benefits
- Legal Guidelines for starting chapter and financials
- AAWD National Bylaws
- Sample Bylaws for your local chapter to adopt.
- Information on setting up a tax ID #, bank account and budgeting
From there, you can – (with our help):
- Set up an organizational meeting for local area dentists
- Create a local chapter name
- Elect officers
- Once you have your group together you will decide how much dues you want to charge per year for membership dues
- Decide what type meetings you would like to hold . . .
- Academic Dental or Non-Dental Topics
- Combination of both
- Decide how many times a year you would like to meet . . .
- i.e. 4 times a year; 1 or 2 social events
- Submit Officer names and contact information to AAWD Headquarters.
Now you’re on your way! If you have any question please do not hesitate to contact Dr. Brittany Bergeron at firstname.lastname@example.org
The following are the chapter documents that must be submitted to the national office at least once annually. If you have any questions regarding updating a chapter, please feel free to contact the national office by telephone at 800-920-2293 or email, email@example.com.
Student Chapter Resources
Local Chapter Resources